Online Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist Courses
For the latest information and registration regarding the Online Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist 40 hour education courses , please consider joining our list serv https://ocvn.osu.edu/about-ocvn and/or contact the local course host of the location in which you are interested. You will find that at this link https://ocvn.osu.edu/find-course.
Course costs range from $100--$200 and typically run for about 3 months. If you have questions about our program, please feel free to call or email the OCVN Program Director Anne Baird at email@example.com or 614-292-8603.
Welcome to the Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist Program
- Create and update the base OCVN course curriculum;
- Offer annual continuing education for course hosts and OCVN participants;
- Promote volunteer service and continuing education opportunities; and
- Issue certifications.
Local course hosts manage and offer the 40-hour education OCVN course for their region by building onto the statewide curriculum components with local and regional content.
How to Become an OCVN
1. Complete the 40 hour OCVN course at an approved location. To find an approved OCVN course location near you go to Find a Course.
2. Volunteer. Once you have completed your coursework, you must volunteer for a nonprofit organization that has a similar mission to the OCVN program (i.e., raising awareness of Ohio’s environment and natural resources through science based education and stewardship) for a minimum of 40 hours within the first full year after completing your coursework. After course completion, OCVNs typically volunteer in the following service categories: Education/Interpretation & Outreach, Citizen Science, Land Stewardship, and Program Support. See 'About Us' for more details.
3. Maintain your certification. To maintain your status as an OCVN you must continue to volunteer a minimum of 20 hours per year, and attend at least 8 hours of continuing education per year.