A Day in the Woods Series 'Tending Your Woodland' In-person workshop
Being offered to woodland owners in SE Ohio at the Vinton Furnace State Forest
McArthur, OH – Like a garden, your woodland will likely provide more benefits if you give it some attention. “Tending Your Woodland”, an interactive outdoor learning opportunity for woodland owners in SE Ohio, will help you to understand the various practices that you can use to improve your woodlands. This program is offered on October 8 at the Vinton Furnace State Experimental Forest near McArthur and will include the opportunity to tour numerous field sites demonstrating various practices that have been established since the early 1950’s. Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Explore crop tree management (CTM), a technique that can increase the growth rate of trees to produce more wildlife food, timber and other benefits
- Learn about Timber Stand Improvement (TSI) and how it can help your woodland become more productive
- Understand various techniques that can be utilized to enhance oak regeneration in your woodlands.
- Become aware of the wide array of options available to woodland owners who are contemplating a timber harvest.
- Know where to get the advice and resources that will help you tend your woodland
A registration fee of $12 per person (payable on the day of the event by cash or check to Vinton SWCD) entitles participants to program materials and a box lunch. Registration is required. Please RSVP on or before October 4 by emailing Dave Apsley at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling Cheri Porter or Dave Runkle at the Vinton SWCD (740-596-5676).
We plan to hold most of this program outdoors in the woods. We will follow the COVID-19 protocols that are in place at the time. Please bring a face covering to use when:
- you are indoors and not fully vaccinated
- it makes you comfortable
The Vinton Furnace State Forest is in a very remote portion of Vinton County. Signs will be posted on the morning of the event along the route from both entrances. For a map and directions to help you find the training center at the Vinton Furnace State Forest, visit http://u.osu.edu/seohiowoods.
For more information contact Dave Apsley (email@example.com).