The SPOTD turtle conservation internship program is designed to provide hands-on field experience.
The Splash Fund of the Greater Cleveland Aquarium works in collaboration with The Cleveland Museum of Natural History and Wild4Ever for field work as part of the Spotted Turtle Headstarting, Augmentation, and Repatriation Program for Northeast Ohio.
Field sampling is conducted daily from Mid-May through August for a total of 350 hours, with a minimum commitment of 4 days per week. Interns will receive a $400 stipend upon the completion of the program.
- Travel around NE Ohio to field sites for turtle trapping activities
- Safely transport turtles between field location, GCA and veterinarian’s office
- Collect field data including turtle data and environmental conditions
- Identification and handling of aquatic species including reptiles, amphibians and insects
- Must be able to use field equipment such as GPS, RF tracking device, pit tag reader, and temperature dataloggers
- Follow standards as directed by ODNR permit
- Maintain field gear in good working condition
- Coordinate the transfer of field gear between sampling teams
- Complete a field report and data entry
Please email resume to: Stephanie White, Curator at firstname.lastname@example.org