Taking Root is an initiative to replace, retain and expand trees in the eight-county Greater Cincinnati tri-state region. Partners include Boone County Arboretum, Cincinnati Nature Center, Davey Resource Group, Great Parks of Hamilton County, The Green Partnership for Greater Cincinnati, Hamilton County Planning and Development Department, Natorp’s, The Nature Conservancy in Ohio, Northern Kentucky Urban and Community Forestry Council, Ohio DNR Division of Forestry, and Oxbow, Inc. The campaign is ramping up to educate the public on the need for trees, to value and care for them, and to plant them — by the millions!
To inspire and empower all to conserve and improve our region’s unique and threatened tree canopy
A vibrant tree canopy in the Greater Cincinnati Tri-State region, now and for generations to come
- Plant 2 million trees by 2020 (a tree for everyone in the OKI Region)
- Better Manage and Conserve Our Existing Forests: Expand practices that help retain and regenerate trees and forests.
- Promote the Many Benefits of Healthy Trees: Increase the awareness of tree and forest; the benefits they provide; why we need them; and the threats they face.
- Foster Stewardship Among Individuals and Communities: Engage individuals, businesses, organizations, institutions and communities in the stewardship of our region’s trees and forested areas.
Taking Root Newsletter Archive
Emily Hampton, Taking Root Coordinator
Scott Beuerlein, Chair, Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
Jenny Gulick, Vice-Chair, Davey Resource Group
Tom Borgman, Great Parks Hamilton County
Jason Brownknight, Cincinnati Nature Center
Jodine Grundy, Taking Root Ambassador
Liz Jacobs, Natorp’s
Josh Knights, The Nature Conservancy
Margo Lindahl, Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Council of Governments
Travis Miller, Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments
Dean Niemeyer, Green Partnership for Greater Cincinnati and Hamilton County Planning & Development Department
Len Thomas, Green Partnership for Greater Cincinnati (University of Cincinnati representative)
Brewster Rhoads, The Green Umbrella
Jon Seymour, The Green Umbrella and Oxbow, Inc.
Kristopher Stone, Boone County Arboretum
Wendi VanBuren, Ohio Department of Natural Resources – Division of Forestry
Taking Root Partners:
(Steering Committee organizations noted with an *)
Taking Root Supporters-Organizations:
- Amberley Village Environmental Stewardship Committee
- Campbell County Conservation District
- Civic Garden Center of Cincinnati
- Clermont County Soil & Water Conservation District
- Colerain Township
- Cru Cutters, LLC
- Delhi Township
- Great Parks of Hamilton County
- Keep Cincinnati Beautiful
- Kenton County Conservation District
- Liberty Township
- Ohio Valley Forestry Fellowship
- Roselawn Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation
- UC Medical Center
- Village of Mariemont
- Village of Morrow
- Village of Williamsburg Tree Board
- VIOX Services, INC.
- Warren County Soil & Water Conservation District
- Willowbrook Community HOA