Agenda Summary (For detailed agenda and registration, click here.) (Please note that at the payment area, there is a drop-down menu for payment by other options than a credit card.) Accommodations
Friday October 7 Pre-conference workshop "Wading into Wetlands" (FULL!!)
12 noon—4:00pm (lunch included)
Have you wanted to get wet and expand into teaching about wetlands in the field but were not sure how to get started? This pre-conference workshop may be for you. Dr. Patricia Saunders, Professor, Ashland University will first highlight the latest findings from her wetland research. Then, experienced outdoor educators, Herb Broda and Janet Ellsworth, will help you try out easy to lead activities that will incorporate the research and quickly engage your audience in a wetland discovery!
Location: Black Fork Wetland Environmental Studies Center at Ashland University, 2628 Ashland Road, Mansfield, Ohio 44905
Friday October 7 Networking Dinner and Earth Science Teaching Demos
Join us for a catered dinner and science education demonstration at the state of the art Spring Mill Learning Center. Spring Mill is a STEM based facility of the Mansfield City Schools. Location: Spring Mill Learning Center, 1200 Nestor Drive, Mansfield, Ohio 44906
Saturday, October 8 Full Day Conference
Location: OSU Mansfield, 1760 University Drive, Mansfield, OH 44906
8:00-- 9:00 - Registration check-in, Coffee and light breakfast
9:00-- 9:15 - Welcome
9:15-- 9:30 - Awards Ceremony
9:30--10:30 - Key Note - Julie Zickefoose, Natural History Writer/Artist
10:30--10:45 - Break
10:45-- noon - Breakout Session 1, Ovalwood Hall Classrooms
- Findings from Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II: Translating breeding bird research into education and interpretative programs - Matthew Shumar, Research Associate, OSU;
- Photography: Its role in Environmental Education, Interpretation and Conservation - Nina Harfmann, Photonaturalist;
- Herpetology: Josh Dyer, Naturalist Crawford Parks;
- Meeting Current Challenges to Ohio's Forests - Kathy Smith, Program Director, Forestry, OSU Extension.
Noon-1:00 - Lunch_Eisenhower Hall
1:00-2:00 - Panel Discussion on 'State Level Priorities and a Need for OCVNs' - Panelists: Bill Stanley, The Nature Conservancy Ohio Chapter, Mindy Bankey, Ohio Federation of Soil and Water Conservation Districts and Jennifer Windus, Ohio Natural Areas & Preserves Association.
2:00-3:15 - Breakout Session II, Ovalwood Hall Classrooms
- Climate Change Information & Educational Resources: Jason Cervenec and Aaron Wilson, Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, State Climate Office of Ohio;
- Sustainable Pollinators Partnerships - Plant Lessons to Last Beyond the School Year: Colleen M. Sharkey, Environmental Educator and Naturalist for Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks; Kelly Balaz, teacher, Hanby Elementary;
- Citizen Science: Getting involved in Ohio’s Credible Data Program: Jared Burson, Ohio EPA, Division of Surface Water, Credible Data Program;
- Tips and Tricks for Working with Kids: Herb Broda, OCVN, Professor Emeritus, author, outdoor education specialist.
3:30-3:45 - Complete the evaluation and depart for home